Welcome to week 2 of The Freshman’s Guide to College! Today we’re talking about studying for exams!
Last week we talked about back-to-school shopping, your course schedule, textbooks, making friends, and how to be a great roommate. Now we’re getting into the nitty gritty of how to actually succeed in your academic life at college!
One of the scariest parts of your first semester of school is trying to figure out how to manoeuvre around the dreaded exam season. The workload becomes unbearable, and you’re burnt out after a crazy 3 months of your first college courses.
My first semester of college, I’ll admit—the first day of exam season I just curled up in bed and cried for like an hour. I was just so overwhelmed by it all. Then, after that hour, I buckled down, studied, and did well on my exams. I know that exams are a far way off, but feeling prepared for everything that will happen helps with my stress levels, personally. On top of that, being successful at exams requires working hard all semester, so it’s never too early to gain some good habits.
I have been doing university courses for 4 years now, so I have a few tips and tricks on how to survive exam season and achieve your best results!
1. Try to stay on track throughout the semester
2. Your syllabus is your exam Bible.
3. Study using flashcards
4. Find a good study space
5. Give yourself rewards
6. Study with friends
7. Make sure to take breaks
Honestly, exams can be really rough and studying for exams can be long, arduous, and stressful. The great thing is, though, that it only lasts for 2 weeks and then it’s done! So when you come up to exam season, just remember these tips and stay strong!
Remember: what you put in during the semester is what you get out of your exam! Work hard early on and you’ll see great results at the end. School isn’t a last-minute sprint, it’s a marathon all semester. That may seem scary, but trust me—it’s doable, and you’ll have a great time learning so much new material! (Ok, well if you’re as nerdy as I am you will ;) )
I hope these tips work for you! What have you found works for studying for exams?
Enjoy this post? Check out the rest of The Freshman’s Guide to College:
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 1: Back-to-School Shopping
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 2: Choosing your Course Schedule
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 3: Saving on Textbooks
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 4: Making Friends
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 5: Roommates
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 6: Exams
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 7: Packing for College
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 8: Staying Healthy in School
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 9: Time Management
- Freshman’s Guide to College Day 10: Staying in Touch with Family and Friends