So I turned 19 :)
It’s really strange, because at 19, you can literally do whatever you want in Canada (as long as it doesn’t break the law, like murder or anything. Still can’t get away with that.) I can smoke, drink, go clubbing… but that’s not really my scene. My birthday wasn’t nearly that exciting, but I am enjoying the freedom. And honestly, I live like a 25 min bus ride from Quebec. So I could have done all of that last month too if I wanted to. So maybe not quite as exciting as I thought ;)
I was sick on my birthday, unfortunately, but not too sick to go out and do stuff :) My best friend made me a beautiful lunch, French bistro style, with French music, baguettes, white wine, and everything. One of my housemates and her cousin who was visiting even made me cupcakes, topped with purple icing! :) It was so sweet–my love language is acts of service, so it meant so much to me!
After our beautiful luncheon, Hillary and I headed downtown and got a ton of free stuff! :D
See, I had signed up for memberships at a ton of places last semester anticipating this day of freebies. I got free stuff from sephora, starbucks, Orange Julius, and menchies :) We were pretty stuffed by the end of it all :S
(Btw, if any of you know of any other places to get free stuff, tell me! We’re looking for more for Hillary’s birthday :) )
I’m a firm believer in the philosophy that you don’t need to spend money to have fun. Being a college student, it’s very helpful that I have accepted that worldview as my own. So on my birthday, I really wanted to just have a good time with friends and not go out and burn a ton of cash or anything.
And I think it was more meaningful because of that anyway :)
After getting home from downtown, I headed off to some of my friends’ house for a while, who all kindly put up with me, even though I was lethargic and coughing because of my cold. :) (If any of you are reading this, thanks :) You all made my birthday super fun!)
I’ve been so blessed this last year. The transformation my life has seen over the last 12 months is unreal–I went from being disillusioned, frustrated with life, and completely unmotivated to do anything to feeling like the luckiest girl alive to be living the life that God’s given me. And I have so many hopes for this year too!
I’ve made a list of things I want to accomplish this year, and I thought I’d be daring and share it with you guys :) Maybe if other people see it, I’ll be more likely to get it done.
Becca’s List of Stuff to Do Before she turns 20
Sidenote: HOLY CRAP. I’m turning 20 in a year. That hadn’t really sunk in yet. Yikes. Anyway, back to the list:
1. Become semi-fluent in ASL
2. And Spanish
And French , Become decently good at French I don’t really like French that much.
4. Learn some sort of dancing. Salsa, hip-hop, anything! Just get some rhythm, for pete’s sake.
5. Write a book. More on that later.
6. Run a marathon (Hopefully August?)
7. Finish the full 60-days of Insanity (Working on it!)
8. Finally learn how to design my dream website. I have the idea in my head, and I just can’t get it to work! I have it all sketched out in a notebook and everything, but I want to do it myself. Pride issue, and stubbornness mixing together. But I will do it this year! Reading week?
9. Take up journalling again–I really miss it, and since I’m such an external processor, it’s really nice to have that outlet.
10. Be able to do the splits (PFFT yeah right. Like that’s going to happen. Is it sad that this is the least likely thing on this list?)
So there you have it. That’s my life this year. I’m so excited to see what happens in the next 12 months, my last 12 as a teenager. God has been so good these last 19 years, and I can’t wait to see what he has in store for this next one.
And I hope it has a lot to do with this blog :)