Before we get started, just wanted to let you know that this isn’t going to be a deep, theoretical, faith-based post. I’m just excited for Christmas, and found some cool ideas online I thought! :)
With Christmas coming, it’s hard to budget gifts in for our friends and family. Especially since everything seems to go up in price around the holidays.
Now my family is very much a DIY type of family. I’ve been knitting since I was in kindergarten. (I’ve even included a nice little picture for you guys.) So it’s always been a de-stressing hobby of mine :) You can make fun of me if you want to, I don’t really care ;)
This year I’m trying to cut down on costs by making gifts instead of buying them–so here are some ideas I’ve got! I understand these are more geared towards women, but if you know of any DIY ideas for men please let me know! :)
1. It’s winter, so scarves are always a great idea for DIY Christmas gifts!
Never underestimate the power of a scarf.
Infinity scarves are super easy to knit or crochet, and the best part is that there are tons of free patterns all over the internet! Here are some of my favourite patterns:
2. This may be daunting at first, but try making some jewelry
Now I made jewelry for 3 years as a business with a friend of mine in high school, so I’ve got a bunch of experience here, but if you’ve got the tools, some pieces of home-made jewelry make great DIY Christmas gifts! There are so many cute, affordable pieces to make! Here are a few of my favourites:
3. Mix it up!
Cookie mixes, brownie mixes, hot chocolate mixes–you get the point! These are super easy, super inexpensive, and making them look adorable is a breeze–just put the mixture into a mason jar, tie a ribbon around the thing and tape on a cute label! Honestly, these are probably the easiest of all of the DIY Christmas gifts I have listed here, and they are so great! I think this one get you the most bang for your buck.
Here are some different recipes to try:
- Chocolate cookie mix: http://thefrugalgirls.com/2013/10/chocolate-cookie-mix-in-a-jar.html
- Hot Chocolate mix: http://www.52kitchenadventures.com/2012/12/20/diy-hot-cocoa-mix-marshmallows/
- Brownie Mix: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/956638/chocolate-brownie-mix-in-a-jar
- Pancake Mix: www.mixesinajar.com/mixes/breakfast/christmasmorningpancakes.shtml
4. Lip Balms are a more girly idea for DIY Christmas gifts.
These are super easy to make, and you can make them in bulk. And I mean bulk. You can make a ton at a time and save them for birthdays and any other time you need a quick gift! You might have to run out and buy some weird ingredients, but they aren’t expensive, and it’s super fun to make :)
Make them in different flavours and colours and put them together in a basket for an easy, affordable gift!
Here are some recipes I thought looked good!
- http://www.loveumadly.com/2012/08/crystal-light-beauty-products/ (this one is by far the easiest–just two ingredients you’d already have in your home!)
5. Bubble Bath
Why not give someone the gift of relaxation? Just mix up some of this bubble bath, pour it into a cute jar, and you’re done!
So that’s my list! Tell me what you think should be added, or what you’ve found with these recipes and patterns I’ve posted!
Are you getting as excited for Christmas as I am?